How do I participate?
Due to the City’s Utility Billing software vendor’s continuing technical issues, the City of Rolling Meadows decided to suspend e-bills (electronically sent Utility Bills) and send out paper Utility Bills to former e-bill customers.
The City of Rolling Meadows is committed to providing excellent customer service and is working on finding a viable solution. Until such time, you will receive a paper bill instead of an eBill notification email.
We appreciate your patience during this transition. If you need assistance, need an account balance, or have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at (847) 394-8500 or email us at eBilling Enrollment Instructions Page

Show All Answers

1. What is an eBill?
2. How do I participate?
3. How are payments made?